“Pain in the Ass” things you have to do as an active investor or direct owner in real estate. Another term for this is “Friction costs” which are all the intangible items you have to do as an investor to keep an investment going. This is not to be confused with the Cheapo list I had when I was living off ramen noodles.
I’ll just be a Passive Investor to avoid PITA!
Not so fast. Being a Passive Investor requires money. $200K+ at the very least. Most people start out learning the ropes and then going Passive once their experience and net worth hit a certain critical mass (or they have a kid or something).
- Call the power company only to find out it’s the gas company you need… from the county over. 40-minutes on hold and three restarts on the phone-tree later you find out that you can only send a check in the mail. The post office is closed and who the heck uses checks anymore.
- Words from a friend in about Birmingham…
- Thought we should let you know that Center Point township has recently become a challenging city to own real estate for cashflow. Recently they passed an ordinance that a rental property has to be inspected every time a tenant turns over (in an effort to increase city revenue). During the inspection period, they will find obscure things to site as needing repair/replacement prior to renting out the property to a new tenant (example a hard-wired smoke alarm as opposed to a battery operated and an electric stove instead of a gas). We ended up spending close to $14K after the last tenant turnover and we are now looking at options of removing it from our portfolio. We received before pictures from the Property Management company after their walkthrough, and they mentioned a couple of low ticket items in their inspection to repair (nothing we were concerned about at the time). They did warn us in advance that the city has been extremely picky and $8-$10K repair/replacement requirements from Center Point have become the standard recently.
- Trying to make nice to the county clerk because people are littering in the yard from the adjacent bus stop
- Paying a $50 late bill for late taxes filled for Alabama…
- Email me at Lane@SimplePassiveCashflow.com and I’ll add it here… it will make you feel better!