Jorge Newbery, Founder and CEO, American Homeowner Preservation. On a mission to help Americans crushed by unaffordable debt. This Ex-Apartment investor talks about going $28 million dollars into the hole. This is quite honestly the most authentic and insightful interviews I have had this 2016… editing the podcast was like watching a freaking drama movie.
1) How much simple passive Cashflow are you making today and how are you doing it?
(You don’t need to give a number if you would like privacy. You can be vague such as halfway to quitting my job, cover my mortgage, Make 25% of my expenses, over $10k, although people like when people open up the kimono.)
My wife and I put extra money in AHP. It’s in the low seven figures.
2) What is your Han Solo moment – Han Solo and his buddy Chewbacca from Star Wars were cruising around the galaxy as lowlife smugglers but then cross paths with Luke and Leia and his life took a pivot point. Describe the resistance that was the catalyst for change.
Always been an entrepreneur. My last regular job was 25 years ago as branch manager of a mortgage company. Even then, most of my earnings came from commission, so the smarter I worked, the more I made.
Did you “burn the boats” or did you let it happen naturally – was there an internal (you decided to make a change on own – what was thought process?) or external trigger (ie got fired from your job)?
3) Worst life/business moment what did you do after? Lesson learned?
Shutdown of Woodland Meadows (my largest holding at 1100-units) and my subsequent financial collapse.
- The positive impact you can have on other lives is more important than accumulating cash. I use my Woodland Meadows experience to aid families struggling to avoid foreclosure. The best part is that AHP and our investors can also generate strong financial returns by doing so, which makes the effort sustainable and scalable.
- Some risks you cannot anticipate.
4) Current 2-week experiment and 6-month project? (90-180 day goal) A mark of a high performer is to put your ego aside and accept the help of others and mastermind maybe folks can help you by you asking.
- Next two weeks: complete improvements to ahpfund site in order to make investment process as easy and fast as possible.
- Next six months: execute marketing campaign to raise 50MM on ahpfund.com.
5) What is your simple passive Cashflow number? Now imagine you had 2x that amount… Describe your ideal day, detailed routine, and what projects you are working on.
Workout, work on higher-level growth of AHP (i.e. avoid getting involved in individual cases), spend time with friends and family.
6) Something that you have recently or thought about “burning your cash” on for time savings or an improvement in quantity of life.
Outsource/delegate more of what I do to experts, so I can focus on what I do best and free up my most precious possession: time.
7) Tony Robbins identifies two large concepts that we are continually struggling to gain perfection at: #1-Art of Fulfillment and #2-Science of Achievement. If you died tomorrow and I were to email this to your kids a couple decades later… this is what they would hear.
- What is your secret/hack for the “Science of Achievement?” How you do contribute back?
Stay positive and upbeat even during challenging times. Embrace difficult periods and endure – the effort often gets easier. Greatness is typically preceded by surviving difficult times.
- What is your secret/hack for the “Art of Fulfillment?” Any secret habits to share?
Strive for what you want, but allow yourself to be happy with what you have.